Neem cake organic manure protects plant roots from nematodes, soil grubs and white ants probably due to its residual limonoid content. It also acts as a natural fertilizer with pesticidal properties. Neem cake is widely used in India to fertilize paddy, cotton and sugarcane. Usage of neem cake have shown an increase in the dry matter in Tectona grandis (Teak), Acacia nilotica (Gum Arabic), and other forest trees.
Neem seed cake also reduce alkalinity in soil, as it produces organic acids on decomposition. Being totally natural, it is compatible with soil microbes and rhizosphere microflora and hence ensures fertility of the soil. Neem cake improves the organic matter content of the soil, helping improve soil texture, water holding capacity, and soil aeration for better root development.
- The Neem oil which is extracted from the Neem seeds has insecticidal and medicinal properties and is used in pest control.
- Neem seed cake is used as a soil amendment which enriches the soil and lowers nitrogen loss. Plus it works as a nematicide.
- The twigs of Neem trees are used in both India and Africa as toothbrushes. You can buy toothpaste with Neem extract commercially too.
- Both the leaf and the seed of the Neem tree produce pain relieving, anti-inflammatory and fever reducing compounds. This can aid in the healing of cuts, burns; earaches sprains and headaches.
- The bark and roots in powdered form can be used to control fleas and ticks on pets.
- Skin infections such as acne, psoriasis, scabies, and eczema can be treated with the anti-bacterial properties of Neem.
Organic fertilizers are fertilizers derived from animal matter, animal excreta (manure), human excreta, and vegetable matter. (e.g. compost and crop residues). Naturally occurring organic fertilizers include animal wastes from meat processing, peat, manure, slurry, and guano.
In contrast, the majority of fertilizers used in commercial farming are extracted from minerals (e.g., phosphate rock) or produced industrially (e.g., ammonia). Organic agriculture, a system of farming, allows for certain fertilizers and amendments and disallows others